So this is the weekend when most people will take their significant others out and show them love. Let me just say that everyone doesn’t celebrate this “man-made” holiday however let me encourage all in a few home keeping details.
- Just because you don’t celebrate doesn’t mean you have to do the whole “it’s not a big deal” on everyone who is celebrating’s social media pages. I can’t tell you how many times it irks to see this. I am not calling anyone who feels like this a hater because truth be told it is a man-made holiday, however stop being love killers because you either have love and don’t care, don’t have love, or just by your nature need to be a negative Nancy.
- Just because you do celebrate and you want to shower yourself, your loved ones in love do not shun those who do not celebrate. Basically let people be great either way and do what works for you.
- This is not the time to jump on status that is not about you to tell everyone either way how miserable you are or less it’s an open-ended question, a poll, or you’re apart of a group that is asking. This is code for stop with the unsolicited information so the world can know which side you are on. Trust and believe if its unwarranted people don’t really want to know and that’s real.
- Married people, just because you live with you mate and you don’t make it a big deal in your home, its okay for other married people to indulge and vice versa. This “holiday” isn’t just for those in the dating world and still trying to get “some.” Some people need these types of holidays to be a bit more expressive than they would normally. Let folks live. Marriage should be celebrated daily but let’s be real most don’t and little reminders of love in ANY forms can keep folks from the divorce line.
- Realize that the single folks that swore of relationships will showcase what they got just to let themselves or others know. Guess what? Even if you feel a way about it, its okay for them to do that. If one day our country can focus on spending a few bucks to tell whomever they want they love them, although love is free I say let them. In this hate filled world I would rather see expressions of love than the hate that is quicky spread like wildfire.
- Pray for those who have lost love. While some are looking down for those who do or do not celebrate there is a widow who misses the times when their significant other showered them. Also the newly separated and divorced grieve during this time as well. Learn to show compassion.
- Single folks try and this is a big try because let’s be honest its easy for me to say try when I don’t live that life anymore but try to find ways to celebrate you, celebrate in groups, or enjoy the day. I know that again its hard to do but don’t go batty for one day and putting your life and what life means into this one day. There will be a lot of flowers and candy going out to significant others who don’t even mean their mates well.
- Show love daily. I love to hear the men especially complain about this holiday but if you ask them when was the last time they did the little things you can only hear crickets. Do not be fooled into thinking that if you buy into this holiday that your relationships no matter which ones they are will be perfect because it won’t. The thought behind the idea is to show that you love and want to do something nice for the one you love.
- LADIES, please get you man something. Yes more than a sappy card. Be just as creative as you want him to be. What makes you think that just because he says I am good that he really is. Try finding ways to make his day easier. How about treat him too. Too many men complain about what they do and they remember the times when it wasn’t given in return. Men want to be shown just as much as we do. Step up your game this year.
- Be creative for those you love. I send things to my single friends, my grandmother, my nieces, parents, etc. It doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to say hey, you’re loved today and everyday. Think outside the box.
Enjoy your Valentine’s Day weekend!! Remember don’t find yourself loving on someone else’s mate. This is not the time to be a celebrated side piece. Remember side pieces gets ransacked candy and broken hearts. Invest in someone who is all into you and you alone. Being a part of and being the only one are two different things.