Mother’s Day is around the corner literally and the struggle to get mom the perfect gift is on. I have a few suggestions to help you along the way, but first let’s think what would mom want. The gift that you give should be about making mom smile. No amount of gifts will ever pay your mom or even can contribute to the amount of love that your mom gives to you and has given to you. But be creative and think about HER. This is the time to make her smile. Do not get your mom anything related to health unless she has requested it. I am a fit mom or trying to be it would not offend me because I am actively on that journey. However showing up with a fitbit for a mom who is not ready for that or hasn’t expressed it could send mom into a whirlwind. She may need it but the day is for things SHE wants. Tread light on gifts that could be offensive. Moms are still women and women and their body image is an issue. Let mom get to a point than support her but Mother’s Day may not be the time.
- Flowers-even if your mom gives you the whole I don’t want or need anything nothing says thanks than a flowers. They are a simple but thoughtful gesture that makes everyone’s day. There are flower stands all over the place even some along the road. Don’t go to moms without any.
- Hand written notes even in cares are still appreciated. Moms want to know what’s on your heart. Cards are beautiful and a lot of moms save them but your words are best.
- Gift cards-If you get them and they can be gotten just about anywhere at least make sure they are stores she likes. Please do not get her something that you want. That is not cool. Let mom do her thing and shop and get what she wants.
- Macaroni Pictures-these are okay if your child is in elementary school, however if you are grown and you are making her something let it be from the heart and not something you scribbled down last-minute. She is worth energy in your creativity.
- Upgrades-if you plan on getting mom a tablet or new phone do try to program it and spend some time helping her operate it.
- Church-moms love seeing their kids in church. So go if you can. Expect the parking lots to be full between Mothers day, Easter and Christmas these are high church times.
- Food-get upgraded favorites. This is the time where mom can indulge in a few tasty treats. Chocolate is good so make it a good purchase for her. She would appreciate it.
- If you have small children and even if you’re co-parenting, she may not be your mom but you can help your child or children get her something nice. Kids don’t have jobs but they do understand getting mom something. Don’t disappoint your child trying to “stick” it to your child’s mother. You may not like her but you laid down and had a baby honor her for the work she puts in when you don’t have the responsibility of having to do most of the care for your child.
- Give mom a break-do you know that allowing her to go out WITHOUT the kids for a few hours is a gift in itself. How about a nap? How about dinner cooked if you don’t want to brave the restaurants? Anything that takes the load off of her would be super appreciated.
- Pampering-if your mom loves a little manicure or pedicure or maybe she’s so busy handling it all that she doesn’t have the time, a certificate to get these things done is great, or make her appointment and take her there. Relaxation is always a great idea.
The idea is taking some time to love on mom. Don’t make it about you. Make it about her. Give her a break. Show up with flowers. There are so many that wish they could give flowers to their mom and instead will have to give flowers on a grave. While you still have her, shower her with love and gifts. She deserves them!! Happy Mother’s Day to all the ladies that put in that hard work when appreciation is far and few!!!