It’s Christmas! Time to break out the food and fun! For some the holidays don’t always represent love and harmony. This holiday often is the hardest for many reasons! With that in mind I’m giving you a few tips to survive it!
- Have an exit plan- family is great until they’re not. Make sure you can leave and have a back up plan for self-care. Don’t stay anywhere that will send you into a tail spin!
- Take things in strides. As much as you want to do more, eat more, drink more don’t over do it!
- Have fun. Don’t make everything to be on such a schedule and don’t have a list of demands whether it be in the form of gifts or time that you feel others should spend. Allow those around you to be able to flow
- Say no. You can’t be to everyone what everyone wants. Do what you can and leave the rest. Others around you will adjust
- If you’re single around the holidays it’s hard. Acknowledge it but don’t let it overtake your thoughts. I told you about a friend who literally screamed on the phone out of her desire to be with someone. It’s a real overwhelming feeling but you can drive yourself crazy trying to be with someone.
- Keep perspective. Know your reasons for the holidays and don’t get side tracked!
- Love on others
- Do for others
- Don’t get into arguments or fights over the holidays. Walk away!
Whatever your plans are, have fun. May you have peace. Do what you need to do to ensure your own peace. Life is too short to be around folks that you regret or to not be around those you love due to misunderstandings. Work out what you can and make amends with whom you can. Find peace and pursue it! Don’t stay where you aren’t wanted. Don’t do anything that will make you complain. Do things because you truly want to! What would be the point of going around certain people only I spend hours talking about how bad it was if you knew it would be bad going in. You can be around people and do what’s best for you. This could mean go and leave at a designated time. This could mean not engaging in certain conversations. For those who have amazing family and friends that you have, be grateful! Enjoy it! Smile! Be present and not just bring presents!
Cherish the memories!