So the back history to this question is the reason given is that the bride and groom is over their numbers.
Let me give a sad face to the couple. Okay that’s all they get from me. I would not attend the wedding and forego the reception. I personally think it’s super tacky to invite someone, have them send in their reply card on time and then you send a letter about being uninvited. The reply card is exclusively for the reception. No one is charging per head to step in most public churches so this is about the reception per plate cost. Do I understand the expenses of weddings? Absolutely. There are so many that you love but just can’t accommodate. However have your final count before sending out the actual invitation. For me it’s as simple as not going and DEF no gift being sent. If you are planning a wedding please understand that this is the most tackiest thing you could do. It’s tacky even if you call your guests and try to explain BUT a letter is just plain craziness to me.
I’m not saying don’t be their friend or if they are family cut them off BUT you can best believe an invite for anything else going forward would be getting the side eye. Who does this type of craziness?
So May is over. It’s been a great month for me but it’s time to get new goals for June. Another thing happening this June is we are officially at the half way mark to ending 2017. Time is flying. We are coming into a new season.
As we jump into this second half of the year what have you done with the first half? Looking for a new job? How many applications and interviews have you been on? Looking to end love but in the name of not being alone have you cut off the old draining love? Nope, he or she is still there? Looking for new love but haven’t stepped out to enjoy yours? Want to travel but haven’t even applied for a passport? Want to lose weight but won’t even work out at home on free YouTube channels? See the one main ingredient that is missing is action.
We all love to talk. We talk about dreams but won’t make the first step towards them. New Year’s Eve night and you will have a new set of things to do but haven’t put energy to at least begin the set you are supposed to be working on now. I know you have excuses we all do but the only person who hurts from uncompleted goals is you. It’s one thing to be working hard towards goals and not measure up but you can’t even begin to even complain if you have done nothing.
So what you gonna do? Simply dream? Simply talk? Just hope things just line up? Let me know how that works out for you. Anything you want takes work. It’s going to take effort. So let’s step it up. No more dreams without a plan. Be realistic in your plan. Start with one work out day. Change what you eat, pack your food for your day if you are serious about losing weight. Fill out 5 applications a day if you’re looking for a job or a better one. Call a recruiter and ask the questions and set up a tour if you want to go back to school? All of this requires energy and action.
We say year after year how this is our year but you really can’t believe it if you don’t work towards it. I blogged and stand by the premise that if you put half the energy you put into others around you-you would be a better person trust me on it. You can be a better person by working on your inside than out. So in this new month-take a step and leap.
Do you really want it that bad? Prove it to yourself.
- Write it out. What is your vision?
- Research what it will take. If it’s money needed how much. Do you have a gift or talent that can help you make the money to get there? Do it. Get you a jar, decorate it and save towards it.
- Clear your mind. You can’t make space with new things still holding onto the old stuff.
Get around like minded people who already doing it. Get a mentor.
So you have things to do. You don’t have time to sit around watching the world be great. You don’t have time to babysit what everyone else is doing. Time to make it happen. Recommit to you!! Invest in you.
Please do not get me wrong. I think anyone doing anything positive is good news. I love that people are attempting to move past the backward thinking that has seemed to take this world over. However, can we just be real for about a few seconds? When basic behavior is like the best thing since sliced bread than we have a problem.
You are in a dating situation the man of your dreams is wining and dining you and pulls your chair out, etc now you are like see my man loves me? I don’t doubt he does. In a world where men and no not all men are too busy getting caught up in the negative things, playing video games and no job, making babies with no responsibility this could seem like a breath of fresh air. However the issue isn’t in the mere manners, it needs to be our own personal standards that have gone on a decline. Even when I dated the most thugs of boyfriends they pulled my chair out. It was the way I carried myself that lead them to know from the gate that if they never pull a dime like myself they was going to step it ALL the up. So opening up doors is normal for me during my dating processes. Opening doors was basic. It wasn’t because I carried myself in a stuck up way, I didn’t I was laid back but my mere demeanor said hey buddy, this is going to be a classy outing. Now this didn’t always mean I was at 5 star restaurants all the time either. I could go to a night of dancing in the hole in the wall but still be treated like I wasn’t living in the hole of the wall. I set the standard!
If you are married and your husband is super caring, we uplift them. We start labeling relationship goals right off the bat because a husband kissed their wife. Okay I get there are sexless and boring marriages (all by choice) but a simple kiss even a romantic passionate one making relationship goals only means that there are a lot of married couples who do not enjoy the union they are in. Kisses are done simply at the altar or union as a seal of commitment. So….yeah we have got to raise the standard. I had a conversation with my own husband and we acknowledged the highs and lows of our relationship and how outside things and distractions are often celebrated when we lack the self-sufficiency to love on each other and ourselves in the way it should be. A husband who simply comes home is celebrated as if he isn’t supposed to return home after his outside of the home obligations are done. He is celebrated and the phrase, “well at least he’s not cheating” comes into play. Like is he supposed to be cheating? I know cheating is big but let’s not give more respect to the cheater than the faithful? We live in a messed up world. The only way to make the world smaller is to learn to leave the outside world OUTSIDE. Spend more time making YOUR world what YOU want it to be.
If you are married and have kids and your husband doesn’t lift the finger to assist you with the kids some of it on you because you won’t speak up and other reasons is because he doesn’t think he should, I hear well at least he’s in the home. So many men are locked up or leave after they make the babies. This is true. However him being in the home still living like an absentee father is even more crazy. You do know they exist. They are simply bodies but they don’t do a thing but get the greatest father in the world book just because they stayed. Um, if you have a baby and make a baby it is YOUR responsibility to be there, provide, and dare I say interact and assist in the raising of that child. It is simply not okay to come in the home, say hi, watch tv and send the child to bed and think you have arrived in parenting. NO you need to be a force in the home. You need to be helping with whatever it takes to make sure you have healthy, loved and supported children. Ladies, if you have a man who is simply there don’t expect it. Also speak up and don’t berate him because he doesn’t do things like you do either. It’s give and take once ALL parties pay their part.
I believe in rewarding kids but kids are supposed to do good things if they are influenced in the right way. For instance every time your child does something he/she will NOT always be rewarded. Teaching integrity means that at some point they learn to do the right thing simply because it’s right and not because someone is watching them or will give them something. This is why some kids feel a sense of entitlement because you love your little love muffin and use rewards for everything. Reward systems are awesome. It can be used to motivate but should not be in the place of all parenting techniques. These little angels grow up and think the world owes them something and you and I both know that really isn’t how it works.
Like I have always pushed, balance is key. Never do more on one side over another. I know this whole not wanting to be “basic” is a thing but the reality is there are times when going back to the old landmark really does still work. The standard you set in your life and how you work through it should still be set by a measurement. If a person is worth your time they will know what your standard is. That is why some people go ga ga over things like good sex. Is sex supposed to be bad? Yes there are some sexual partners that don’t always do it right off the bat and you have to set the standard even in that on what you will accept or not. However some folks get one strong sexual partner and will throw caution to the wind over some wet sheets and weak knees. It’s like having a stack of cards and as long as one suit is good, you don’t pay any attention to anything else. Set the standard. Know you are worth to be treated the way you want and make no excuse for it. In time once your basic needs are met the other items will line up because you are looking through balanced eyes.
Happy Friday to you all! Who is ready for the weekend? I surely am. Let me just make a world-wide declaration to my beautiful daughter, Naila-happy 8th birthday. My daughter and I am rightfully biased is one of the sweetest, amazing little girls to date. She loves everyone and is such a jewel to be around. We plan to celebrate her all weekend long. I pray continued love, strength and peace to her life always.
It’s also Memorial Day weekend. So this means that there are going to be a few activities that will be taking place in a city near you. If you live in or around Philadelphia there are a lot of FREE events taking place. We ALL can afford free right? The point is to get out and enjoy yourself. Don’t go back to work on Tuesday with the boring didn’t do anything unless that is what you wanted to actually do-NOTHING. Rest, relax, organize, plan for the rest of the Summer time. Memorial Day is the unofficial start to Summer so get out and get busy.
This has been a really interesting week for me. I am still coming down on my weight. I am about to shift from just losing weight to maintaining for the month of June. I am looking to get to my goal so I can purchase this Boho style swimsuit. I haven’t bought a swimsuit in 5 years. Also I was in a lot of control when it came to dealing with the things that life through just this week. I almost had a little mental break down but some encouragement came and helped me along the way. I had such an amazing time with my husband this past weekend and some much-needed me time as well.
- Prayers to those in Manchester. A bomber decided to bomb the Ariana Grande concert that was being attended by mostly teenager and young children. My heart goes out to those who lost their lives as well as those injured from the deadly blast. I can’t understand why there is so much evil in this world but there is.
- Trump’s administration is supposedly under the microscope. Even with getting into all of the politics of it all I do believe that Trump believes that he has the power to do as he pleases. I do not believe he under the concepts of checks or balances. So we shall keep watching to see what comes of all of this.
- Greg Gianfonte is out here body slamming reporters-allegedly. It’s sad when offices used to be respected therefore they carried themselves to a higher standard. Pretty soon they going to be pulling even more stunts but what do I know.
- Chris Cornell died of an apparent suicide. His wife is saying medication he was on is what led to his death and he would have not killed himself otherwise. I pray peace during this difficult time.
- I spoke last week about awaiting for test results well I got them back. It doesn’t look good. I have to be seen this week for some blood related issues and so when I have a treatment plan in place than I will blog openly about what is going on. I have no problems sharing anything in my life and especially about health due to the fact there is always going to be someonelse who will go through it too. I will inform you all of any changes especially any changes that distributes the blog. If you aren’t already following me on Facebook please do as many of the changes will be announced there, https://www.facebook.com/toitimeladies/
- Ask Toi-about family or friends who come over uninvited and especially as parents who have small kids and have a sitter. It’s always good to call first. You don’t know what is going on with people and it shows a respect for other people’s time. If you come over unannounced than don’t expect to have access to someone’s home no matter how close you are if who you are visiting has a sitter. If that sitter isn’t aware of you stopping by its going to be a closed-door that greets you.
- Ask Toi-taking a sex break while married. You have a right and a choice to engage or disengage but I would suggest that you work out the issue that is causing you to want to take a sex break than to go to you mate and not have a clear definition of what that means. Do NOT expect your mate to be okay with it but you have the right to your body and to be vocal in what your intentions are.
- Annoying co-workers anyone? Yes we ALL have them. Simple things to keep in mind as you go through the work day.
- Mirage screens-we put too much stock in what others are doing, what they are portraying, what they show us, etc. Worry more on your own life and less on celebrities or couples or individuals you admire.
As we end this week and dive into the long weekend a few reminders:
- Sunscreen should be worn all year round not just in the Summer months. However since pools and beaches will be swarmed this weekend and beyond, don’t forget it. I use a SPF in my makeup as well.
- Keep your kids close. Do NOT get comfortable and get caught up in celebrating that you forget about them. There are sick people everywhere and the last thing you need is a child to be unaccounted for.
- Drink but be safe. I like a beverage or two but if you think DUI check points aren’t real you are sadly mistaken. Be careful. If you are tipsy call a Uber, etc.
- Violence unfortunately especially in some cities that are already plagued with violence more will break out. Watch the company you keep and be vigilant in having peaceful get togethers. If you are having a fault with someone and can’t be mature than don’t even attempt to resolve it at that time. I pray that all innocent bystanders will be protected as well. You can be at the right place at the wrong time, do nothing and still end up hurt or dead. Prayers to all my ToiTime readers and followers.
Continue reading “Weekly Recap: May 26, 2017”
People, good people, good morning. Listen let’s have a serious talk about what appears to be and what is. We ALL have put out into the atmosphere our very best self. We post the best pics out of the 100 we took. We use filters because let’s face it they are pretty. However there is one thing that we all need to be reminded. Everything that glitters isn’t gold. This isn’t the first time we have heard it but let’s talk about it some more.
We get caught up in the ideas about of what people put out. Some people post about solid marriages and have the most flakiest ones. Being real is about being loud and yelling instead of just being honest and transparent. Just because you yell you keeping it real doesn’t mean you are. That’s a free nugget of wisdom for someone. People struggle. Relationships and marriages struggle. People don’t air out their dirty laundry or rather they shouldn’t. We base our lives off of others and do less work on our own. If you see a woman get flowers, you go home and complain you aren’t getting them. However you haven’t expressed you wanted them before. You don’t go and get them yourself because you enjoy them. You are waiting, hoping that the man you are with will finally take this initiative and do and missing out on the love you really do and can give yourself. You realize that if that love won’t measure up and you practice self-love, nature will separate you from what you don’t need to be with. Again another freebie for you.
Please learn to take some stock in YOUR life. I give great advice but I try to eat and nibble on it before I give it. I hold myself accountable. For instance let me give you some realness. I was having the worst anxiety attack. I didn’t want to go to an event because I knew some of the people there I don’t vibe with. I had to be reminded that its more than talk, I will NEVER vibe well with them. I can’t live with brakes on. SO I got dressed and made it happen. I wanted to be in my defeated world and just go to bed. I ended up having an amazing time. The point is simple, it’s about getting past the hiccups with action and not just lip service.
We have to get past our favorites smoke screens. I love LL Cool J and Morris Chestnut and both are married. Like my marriage there are days even with all of their fineness that their wives are ready to trip them because of something they did or didn’t do. No different from my own marriage. I have friends who I look up to but when they close their doors they have things they are working out in their lives. So you have to understand that and learn to live life on your own terms. A lot of people selling this message of love your spouse, or job or life to the fullest don’t always mean they receive it or live it everyday. Be careful who you put your highest stock on. Everyone on your pedalstool will disappoint you if you don’t keep things into perspective. No different from when the report of America’s sweetheart Jesse Williams called it quits with his wife. Everyone like lawd if they can’t make it what we gon do? You gon get over it and make your marriage work. You need to use the information to make yours solid. Love harder, listen more, don’t take things for granted, etc That’s what you do instead of attributing everything good and going into doom and gloom when it doesn’t add up.
Live your OWN best life!!
So we all have them right? Unless you are in business for yourself you have to work. I was always taught if you don’t work, you don’t eat. There are no handouts. Let me say even if you have landed your dream job, having others who you have to interact with can get annoying. It doesn’t mean you have to be at your wit’s end.
I am a firm believer in life not to allow any one person to get into my spirit so much that the sight of them makes my eyes squint. Now that is not to say that it hasn’t happened. It’s getting warmer out and although you would think that moods would be jolly people are people. These tips I am giving are the ones I use and reuse all the time.
- Don’t take your work home-give yourself about 5 minutes or so after you get off or after you speak to a friend or spouse about someone at the job and then let it go. The more energy you give a person even if they are not in your presence the more they irk you. Speak it and then release it and them.
- Know your supervisor. Sometimes knowing who you have to report will help the situation. There is always that co-worker that thinks he/she is your boss. Speak up. You are only going to get more frustrated if you don’t. You can professionally let people know where they can get on or off without being overly out-of-pocket. Little reminders of the such goes a long way trust me. You have to professionally back people off of you.
- Don’t Speak what you won’t do. If you are a talker and all you want to do is complain say that. However never put out in the atmosphere what you are going to do if you don’t plan to do it. People waste energy telling folks off and then don’t back it up. In an office setting there should be protocol in how you handle conflict. Deal with the issue and attempt to set aside the emotions of the situation.
- Be cordial-stop thinking that you have to be your co-workers friend. This false set of foolishness leads to more issues that can be squashed. If you and the co-worker don’t hang out outside of the office, stop allowing them to be on your social media networks and crossing the friendship line with you.
- You are in control of you. Adults should be their own person. Learn that in some situations hi and bye works. You are there to do your job or work on your projects. When you forget that at times you get caught up.
- Don’t get caught up in office banter. In order to have less problems learn when to disengage.
There will be tines when the list doesn’t work. Gasp. Yes people are people. Find it inside of you to stay in control. The biggest one is to learn to speak up. It’s usually the ones who hold everything in, and complain the most who have the worst interpersonal skills. They haven’t learned to walk in their adulthood. That alone will solve a lot of office issues. Never stoop to the annoying co-workers level. Remain in control. There’s a good chance they have rubbed others the wrong way as well. Never let them see you sweat. Since most of us don’t have bail money on deck, don’t lose control at work. Walk away especially from work place violence-no one wins. Take walks. Take a break.
This is definitely a first of hearing of such breaks in a marriage. I don’t know how that will roll over with your husband. I am sure you have your reasons so you will definitely need to lead the conversations with that. When I was dating my husband who of course was my boyfriend at the time, I remember wanting to take a break but it was more or less for religious reasons. As a Preachers Kid or PK I knew sex was wrong and figured this break would refocus us. He went along with it in the beginning but in the end I was the one who was like hey no I am good let’s start this up. For my daters, be open to your own sense of what works for you.
When you are married there are so many reasons why this wouldn’t be a good idea unless it’s for health reasons. I mean you’re married that is supposed to signal life time partner as well as lifetime sexual partner. However its your body and although some folks place the emphasis on women’s bodies belonging to their husband I do not believe in it UNLESS its belonging to both. Meaning as a woman I should be able to call on sex and request it and get it within reason too and let’s face it, it doesn’t always work out that way in most homes.
Your body and your reasonings will be all you need to talk to your husband. What he may be okay with may not work for all but that won’t matter. I would say don’t go to talk to your husband with the sex break and make it for some unrealistic amount of time. Men are physical beings and that won’t fly. If you felt the need for sex breaks this should be something that both he and you are okay with. If not you will come off to him as someone who wants to control using one of the biggest methods of control that a large amount of women use and that’s sex. I know women who withhold sex not because of issues but as a way to get their husbands to do whatever it is they want. Husbands aren’t kids. If you want a good marriage you need to have open communication and withholding sex signals immaturity to communicate effectively. However you are a team and if a member of the team needs something it should be heard and validated. There are a lot of sexless relationships that I would say work but only usually for the one that made it that way. Relationships are give and take and so you must be willing to hear his side of how he feels about this too. Do not get upset when he’s not on board. I as a woman wouldn’t be but that’s just me. Allow him time to process it.
You and only you know why, you should deal with your why first because it could be that the sex is a physical sign of something emotional going on. Dealing with the cause is a better fix to what is going on inside of you. Explore your why a little further. You may want to do this before speaking to him.