Happy Monday to you. Happy I am just making it Monday. Happy I am alive Monday. Whatever your Monday looks like to you, make it that and rise above it. Yes the weekend has left some of us dry. If it wasn’t the news that is constantly being pushed in our faces, to relationships, situationships, kids, jobs, etc you may be at wit’s end.
So we all know that we need to protect our spirit. Your spirit is your essence. It’s your wits. It’s you in a nut shell. I know there are many times when I have to take a time out. I give my kids one and have no shame in taking one. You need to protect your essence. All of life’s drama can take the beauty out of you if you let it. Today I am even more guarded to keep being informed but to filter some of the junk to avoid getting too overly emotional or let things take me out of my element.
Life is hard but cover yourself today and everyday. Cover your children who don’t fully understand but are in the presence of the same junk you are touched with. Never underestimate that they are able to pick up on negative vibes just as much as you do. Protect what they see and hear. Protect who they are around. Who you allow your kids to be around speaks volumes as they take on what on who is around them. Protect what words you say around them as well. Words have life and death in them and you have to be careful that the tearing down isn’t occurring in-house. We are worried about the outsiders but truth be told you can cause more damage in house than you will ever know if you aren’t careful.
Filter what you take on when it comes to social media. I love social media but the down size is that it doesn’t always allow you to be social. It can become battle grounds. It can become warfare. It can zap your energy. It can take up so much of your time. It can allow you to not be able to disengage with those around you. It is a choice and you must make good choices on what you entertain on social media. Everything isn’t worth a response. Everything doesn’t need a clap back. You have to clean your social media act up. Delete some accounts you don’t need. Take a few folks off that you allow to get you all up in arms. Learn to take a step back with who you call friends on your social media accounts. Never post anything you don’t stand by 100% and be prepared to live with any backlash. Learn that some things that inspire you may just be for you. Learn that you can choose to spread hate or love. Love on yourself. Practice self-love everyday. Mental illness is real and it can be elevated by social media because when the mind is weak it allows the defenses of everything to be low. Be careful. Speak life today. Speak life into your situations and find ways to make your bottom line better. Reach out to help others when your able. It’s no different from when you’re on a plane, they tell you to put the oxygen mask on you first. Same rule applies in life, stop handing out all of your resources to others and leave yourself depleted. Help you than you can help someone else. Have a great Monday and practice self love and love on others around you.
Since the days have been a little crazy and I haven’t blogged in a few days I figured why not today? So if you read my last recap than you know that I am preparing my house and myself for my hysterectomy. I figured since I have now had my gall bladder and appendix removed and outside of child-birth would be done with surgeries, but I am not. As I handle the logistics like meal prepping, laundry and cleaning (as if that will ever be done) my mind is all over the place.
Another issue that has come up is that I had to get a mammogram. I have never done it before until yesterday’s appointment. Let me dispel all of the horror stories and say that it isn’t life changing in the fact that you hurt so bad you can’t think. It is uncomfortable. It feels what ladies feel at the first few days of your menstrual when you are sore. It was painless and didn’t take long. I was pretty optimistic that things would go well until I got the results 30 or so minutes later and now I have to go back next week and have the procedure redone. Now before I allowed my mind to take me there with a grandmother and mother who have had their dance with breast cancer, the technician warned me since it was my first time I most likely would be called back. The reason is simple, there are no images to compare if there really is something wrong. So next week I will be back. Until there is a reason to worry I won’t.
One of the things I can’t stress enough is for ladies, please do monthly self breast exams. They are yours-touch them and make sure all is well. Breast cancer is devastating but what’s more devastating is having a line of defense to feel when something isn’t right but not use it. Be vigilant about your reproductive health as well. There aren’t a lot of do overs in the reproductive world. You need to care about yourself enough to check yourself.
So in the next week things are going to get crazy. My kids will be starting camp and finishing their last week of school. I will have had the surgery and my husband will be the one that the kids run to the most until I heal. I am okay with it. I have talked to many women that have all suggested a few things and one of the top things that all of them have stated was to be good to myself during this process. It’s a bit nerve-racking when I think and wonder if I will have to do hormone therapy and how that will affect me and my family mostly. I will be talking to the doctor about that in-depth.
Emotionally one of the things that I have felt was like wait I really can’t have anymore kids. It went away but it was a bit overwhelming. It wasn’t something I felt when I got my tubes tied after my 3rd child. I had no sadness in me until I found out about this hysterectomy. I can’t explain it but I know that other women have gone through it. It was like I was at a funeral. You know me and funerals never get along. So after about 15 minutes of this semi despair feeling I was okay. I got myself together. I was able to move on.
On a happier and lighter note, my son, my bubs graduates from preschool today. If you know me know nothing else I make all celebrations big. Now don’t get me twisted I am not inviting the masses or throwing a party. I do things like decorate his room, and just make him feel overall special. He has picked where he wants to go out to eat, just a day of showing him how super proud of him we are. He moved from one school to this amazing school and since he has been super happy. Seeing how unhappy he was before and now is such a relief. Listen let me say on a side note when you have good kids and they start getting into trouble, do your research. Find out what is going on. I noticed with my son he would tell us things and we would ask things and it wasn’t adding up. However what I should have done months ago was moved him. I felt it inside of me and didn’t act. I was more concerned with having all 3 kids in different schools. It’s a lot trust me but his happiness is worth it. He is smiling everyday at drop off and pick up. He has friends who parents are more geared to how we raise our kids. That matters trust me.
My job as a parent is to correct him when he needs it and celebrate him always. We are going to do that. He is super ready for kindergarten but I am not sure if kindergarten is ready for him!! This beam of light is going to be something amazing and not just because he is my child, but because he is determined to be great! Super congrats MJ!!
Please do not get me wrong. I think anyone doing anything positive is good news. I love that people are attempting to move past the backward thinking that has seemed to take this world over. However, can we just be real for about a few seconds? When basic behavior is like the best thing since sliced bread than we have a problem.
You are in a dating situation the man of your dreams is wining and dining you and pulls your chair out, etc now you are like see my man loves me? I don’t doubt he does. In a world where men and no not all men are too busy getting caught up in the negative things, playing video games and no job, making babies with no responsibility this could seem like a breath of fresh air. However the issue isn’t in the mere manners, it needs to be our own personal standards that have gone on a decline. Even when I dated the most thugs of boyfriends they pulled my chair out. It was the way I carried myself that lead them to know from the gate that if they never pull a dime like myself they was going to step it ALL the up. So opening up doors is normal for me during my dating processes. Opening doors was basic. It wasn’t because I carried myself in a stuck up way, I didn’t I was laid back but my mere demeanor said hey buddy, this is going to be a classy outing. Now this didn’t always mean I was at 5 star restaurants all the time either. I could go to a night of dancing in the hole in the wall but still be treated like I wasn’t living in the hole of the wall. I set the standard!
If you are married and your husband is super caring, we uplift them. We start labeling relationship goals right off the bat because a husband kissed their wife. Okay I get there are sexless and boring marriages (all by choice) but a simple kiss even a romantic passionate one making relationship goals only means that there are a lot of married couples who do not enjoy the union they are in. Kisses are done simply at the altar or union as a seal of commitment. So….yeah we have got to raise the standard. I had a conversation with my own husband and we acknowledged the highs and lows of our relationship and how outside things and distractions are often celebrated when we lack the self-sufficiency to love on each other and ourselves in the way it should be. A husband who simply comes home is celebrated as if he isn’t supposed to return home after his outside of the home obligations are done. He is celebrated and the phrase, “well at least he’s not cheating” comes into play. Like is he supposed to be cheating? I know cheating is big but let’s not give more respect to the cheater than the faithful? We live in a messed up world. The only way to make the world smaller is to learn to leave the outside world OUTSIDE. Spend more time making YOUR world what YOU want it to be.
If you are married and have kids and your husband doesn’t lift the finger to assist you with the kids some of it on you because you won’t speak up and other reasons is because he doesn’t think he should, I hear well at least he’s in the home. So many men are locked up or leave after they make the babies. This is true. However him being in the home still living like an absentee father is even more crazy. You do know they exist. They are simply bodies but they don’t do a thing but get the greatest father in the world book just because they stayed. Um, if you have a baby and make a baby it is YOUR responsibility to be there, provide, and dare I say interact and assist in the raising of that child. It is simply not okay to come in the home, say hi, watch tv and send the child to bed and think you have arrived in parenting. NO you need to be a force in the home. You need to be helping with whatever it takes to make sure you have healthy, loved and supported children. Ladies, if you have a man who is simply there don’t expect it. Also speak up and don’t berate him because he doesn’t do things like you do either. It’s give and take once ALL parties pay their part.
I believe in rewarding kids but kids are supposed to do good things if they are influenced in the right way. For instance every time your child does something he/she will NOT always be rewarded. Teaching integrity means that at some point they learn to do the right thing simply because it’s right and not because someone is watching them or will give them something. This is why some kids feel a sense of entitlement because you love your little love muffin and use rewards for everything. Reward systems are awesome. It can be used to motivate but should not be in the place of all parenting techniques. These little angels grow up and think the world owes them something and you and I both know that really isn’t how it works.
Like I have always pushed, balance is key. Never do more on one side over another. I know this whole not wanting to be “basic” is a thing but the reality is there are times when going back to the old landmark really does still work. The standard you set in your life and how you work through it should still be set by a measurement. If a person is worth your time they will know what your standard is. That is why some people go ga ga over things like good sex. Is sex supposed to be bad? Yes there are some sexual partners that don’t always do it right off the bat and you have to set the standard even in that on what you will accept or not. However some folks get one strong sexual partner and will throw caution to the wind over some wet sheets and weak knees. It’s like having a stack of cards and as long as one suit is good, you don’t pay any attention to anything else. Set the standard. Know you are worth to be treated the way you want and make no excuse for it. In time once your basic needs are met the other items will line up because you are looking through balanced eyes.
Happy Friday to you all! Who is ready for the weekend? I surely am. Let me just make a world-wide declaration to my beautiful daughter, Naila-happy 8th birthday. My daughter and I am rightfully biased is one of the sweetest, amazing little girls to date. She loves everyone and is such a jewel to be around. We plan to celebrate her all weekend long. I pray continued love, strength and peace to her life always.
It’s also Memorial Day weekend. So this means that there are going to be a few activities that will be taking place in a city near you. If you live in or around Philadelphia there are a lot of FREE events taking place. We ALL can afford free right? The point is to get out and enjoy yourself. Don’t go back to work on Tuesday with the boring didn’t do anything unless that is what you wanted to actually do-NOTHING. Rest, relax, organize, plan for the rest of the Summer time. Memorial Day is the unofficial start to Summer so get out and get busy.
This has been a really interesting week for me. I am still coming down on my weight. I am about to shift from just losing weight to maintaining for the month of June. I am looking to get to my goal so I can purchase this Boho style swimsuit. I haven’t bought a swimsuit in 5 years. Also I was in a lot of control when it came to dealing with the things that life through just this week. I almost had a little mental break down but some encouragement came and helped me along the way. I had such an amazing time with my husband this past weekend and some much-needed me time as well.
- Prayers to those in Manchester. A bomber decided to bomb the Ariana Grande concert that was being attended by mostly teenager and young children. My heart goes out to those who lost their lives as well as those injured from the deadly blast. I can’t understand why there is so much evil in this world but there is.
- Trump’s administration is supposedly under the microscope. Even with getting into all of the politics of it all I do believe that Trump believes that he has the power to do as he pleases. I do not believe he under the concepts of checks or balances. So we shall keep watching to see what comes of all of this.
- Greg Gianfonte is out here body slamming reporters-allegedly. It’s sad when offices used to be respected therefore they carried themselves to a higher standard. Pretty soon they going to be pulling even more stunts but what do I know.
- Chris Cornell died of an apparent suicide. His wife is saying medication he was on is what led to his death and he would have not killed himself otherwise. I pray peace during this difficult time.
- I spoke last week about awaiting for test results well I got them back. It doesn’t look good. I have to be seen this week for some blood related issues and so when I have a treatment plan in place than I will blog openly about what is going on. I have no problems sharing anything in my life and especially about health due to the fact there is always going to be someonelse who will go through it too. I will inform you all of any changes especially any changes that distributes the blog. If you aren’t already following me on Facebook please do as many of the changes will be announced there, https://www.facebook.com/toitimeladies/
- Ask Toi-about family or friends who come over uninvited and especially as parents who have small kids and have a sitter. It’s always good to call first. You don’t know what is going on with people and it shows a respect for other people’s time. If you come over unannounced than don’t expect to have access to someone’s home no matter how close you are if who you are visiting has a sitter. If that sitter isn’t aware of you stopping by its going to be a closed-door that greets you.
- Ask Toi-taking a sex break while married. You have a right and a choice to engage or disengage but I would suggest that you work out the issue that is causing you to want to take a sex break than to go to you mate and not have a clear definition of what that means. Do NOT expect your mate to be okay with it but you have the right to your body and to be vocal in what your intentions are.
- Annoying co-workers anyone? Yes we ALL have them. Simple things to keep in mind as you go through the work day.
- Mirage screens-we put too much stock in what others are doing, what they are portraying, what they show us, etc. Worry more on your own life and less on celebrities or couples or individuals you admire.
As we end this week and dive into the long weekend a few reminders:
- Sunscreen should be worn all year round not just in the Summer months. However since pools and beaches will be swarmed this weekend and beyond, don’t forget it. I use a SPF in my makeup as well.
- Keep your kids close. Do NOT get comfortable and get caught up in celebrating that you forget about them. There are sick people everywhere and the last thing you need is a child to be unaccounted for.
- Drink but be safe. I like a beverage or two but if you think DUI check points aren’t real you are sadly mistaken. Be careful. If you are tipsy call a Uber, etc.
- Violence unfortunately especially in some cities that are already plagued with violence more will break out. Watch the company you keep and be vigilant in having peaceful get togethers. If you are having a fault with someone and can’t be mature than don’t even attempt to resolve it at that time. I pray that all innocent bystanders will be protected as well. You can be at the right place at the wrong time, do nothing and still end up hurt or dead. Prayers to all my ToiTime readers and followers.
Continue reading “Weekly Recap: May 26, 2017”
So we all have them right? Unless you are in business for yourself you have to work. I was always taught if you don’t work, you don’t eat. There are no handouts. Let me say even if you have landed your dream job, having others who you have to interact with can get annoying. It doesn’t mean you have to be at your wit’s end.
I am a firm believer in life not to allow any one person to get into my spirit so much that the sight of them makes my eyes squint. Now that is not to say that it hasn’t happened. It’s getting warmer out and although you would think that moods would be jolly people are people. These tips I am giving are the ones I use and reuse all the time.
- Don’t take your work home-give yourself about 5 minutes or so after you get off or after you speak to a friend or spouse about someone at the job and then let it go. The more energy you give a person even if they are not in your presence the more they irk you. Speak it and then release it and them.
- Know your supervisor. Sometimes knowing who you have to report will help the situation. There is always that co-worker that thinks he/she is your boss. Speak up. You are only going to get more frustrated if you don’t. You can professionally let people know where they can get on or off without being overly out-of-pocket. Little reminders of the such goes a long way trust me. You have to professionally back people off of you.
- Don’t Speak what you won’t do. If you are a talker and all you want to do is complain say that. However never put out in the atmosphere what you are going to do if you don’t plan to do it. People waste energy telling folks off and then don’t back it up. In an office setting there should be protocol in how you handle conflict. Deal with the issue and attempt to set aside the emotions of the situation.
- Be cordial-stop thinking that you have to be your co-workers friend. This false set of foolishness leads to more issues that can be squashed. If you and the co-worker don’t hang out outside of the office, stop allowing them to be on your social media networks and crossing the friendship line with you.
- You are in control of you. Adults should be their own person. Learn that in some situations hi and bye works. You are there to do your job or work on your projects. When you forget that at times you get caught up.
- Don’t get caught up in office banter. In order to have less problems learn when to disengage.
There will be tines when the list doesn’t work. Gasp. Yes people are people. Find it inside of you to stay in control. The biggest one is to learn to speak up. It’s usually the ones who hold everything in, and complain the most who have the worst interpersonal skills. They haven’t learned to walk in their adulthood. That alone will solve a lot of office issues. Never stoop to the annoying co-workers level. Remain in control. There’s a good chance they have rubbed others the wrong way as well. Never let them see you sweat. Since most of us don’t have bail money on deck, don’t lose control at work. Walk away especially from work place violence-no one wins. Take walks. Take a break.
Happy National Pizza Party day. Who doesn’t love pizza? Okay not a real way to open up the blog by hey it’s Friday and I am in uber good mood today. For all of those who will have a slice have fun! I have eaten enough of my points in other delectable things for the week that I need to chill until date night tomorrow night. So how was your week? Mine was pretty good so let’s dive in.
So this has been a good week. Let me shout out my kids this week. They are ending the school year on some awesome high notes. My daughter-the oldest has a birthday coming up. My son is going to kindergarten next year and has a moving up graduation soon. My youngest is doing well and has adopted a new imaginary friend aka her bunny. This has been an awesome week for the Storr kids. That makes me and my husband super awesome. Another good thing this week has been that I have gotten the most sleep in a long time. Now with that we will talk about my lows but that’s at least a plus this week. I am still losing the weight and I am super excited. I have another goal and that is a cute little Boho bathing suit I have been eyeing for the Summer. Oh and Summer is coming so insert the biggest happy face ever. I love heat! I have some awesome plans this weekend along with some scheduled me time so I can’t wait to get me together like I always do-no excuses. Have a wonderful weekend and do one thing that will renew your mind. Sometimes that means cleaning a few things out in preparation for what is to come.
Here is a short list of renewal things (I get asked this in emails often)
- Clean up your space-this is very renewing. Clutter will get the best of you.
- Go to a park-being outside is very comforting.
- Magazine time-you need to be able to take some time out to enjoy a few favorites.
- Visit a coffee shop
- Church or mediation
- Go to a farmers market
- Sleep-rest is a beautiful thing. I am super busy but taking an extra hour does amazing things
- Shopping for some is super renewing
- Organize-doing things to help your week saves time and energy. I meal prep, breakfast prep like making sandwiches I can freeze and grab, making smoothie bags for the week all ensure that the excuse of “don’t have time” is gone. How else would I get through the week with 3 small kids at 3 different schools?
- Kingston Frazier, 6 years old was killed when his mother went into a grocery store and left him in a car unattended with the keys. A group of men later identified as teenagers took the car with the boy in it and hours later he was found dead with a shot-gun wound. My heart has been hurting and my head too over the senseless deaths of our children this week. Please keep this family in prayer.
- Following up from the previous death is the death of Gabriel Taye who died of an apparent suicide after he had been bullied and knocked out the day before after hitting his head on a wall by another boy in his class. His mother was not informed of what happened and 2 days later he was found in his bedroom from a suicide.
- Here in Philly a 10-year-old boy had been bullied and came home and told his mom he had the worst day of his life. She gave him space and then when she went to check on him he had died of an apparent suicide. I know there are a lot of other news stories but these are important this week. We have kids’ life being taken for no reason. Please parent be vigilant with your kids. Please make sure that you talk with your children. We need to listen and support our children. Do NOT leave them in the car. Although the actions of the mother who left Kingston in the car were bad, the real enemy was the boys that took his life. May all of these beautiful boys always be remembered and let’s have less of them. I will do a separate blog about all of them soon.
- Trump and the Russian ties is heating up. So be on the look out if you already aren’t now.
- The dirty mirror-this had a lot to do with my personal journey that I am taking in my life to love me more and how that is affecting and could potentially affect the state of my marriage. These changes have so far made us strong but for others who find themselves in this change it can make them second guess everything.
- I got you ma-this is the season that men start the cat calling more. Summer lovin is finally on its way. For the single and ready to mingle this could be good. Just don’t lose your mind and think that all men are on the up an up because they are not. Some will promise the world just to bed you. Never lose focus. If you only want sex, protect yourself, but if you want more, be vigilant and ask questions. Men will tell you what you ASK. So ask the right ones.
- TBT: we threw it back to when putting it all on the table too soon may be considered an issue. Don’t be the only one throwing it out there. Ask. If you’re dating its your season to enjoy someone’s company as well as it is to collect information.
So I went to the doctors a few weeks ago and got a clean bill of health. So she asked me to get blood work done. I didn’t do it. So now the migraines that had subsided since I started eating better and losing weight have come back. So today I didn’t hesitate to get the blood work done this morning. So that is the push for all of my ToiTime to take care of themselves. So it’s your job to be vigilant about what you need. You can’t take care of anyone if you don’t take care of you first. I have to wait until Monday to get the results and I am pretty sure I know what they will say. I will keep you posted. I do not think I am in immediate danger. I do believe vitamins etc. will have to be readjusted. Other than that whatever has been going on makes me super exhausted. I am anemic but that was improving. So say a little prayer that all will be well and continue that way.
Emotional stress is one of the stressors that attaches itself to one of the other stresses we discussed. If your mind is all over the place, allowing you to think about all kinds of thing it will affect your emotions and can cause physical stress. You can’t really be mentally or physically stressed and it doesn’t mess with your emotions. They are sidekicks to yourself.
However you can calm your emotions to began to handle things and alleviate the other stresses. One of the reasons is that out of your mouth your heart speaks. What you talk about, give life to shows where you are. When you say you are over something and you think you are but keep talking about it still has you. When you aren’t phased by something is when you let things go. So how do you handle emotional stress? Getting to the root of what is tugging at your heart. If you are hurt you tend to hurt others in your words, deeds, etc. Lashing out sometimes only reveals what is really going on. However don’t expect the world to give you a pass just because something is bothering you. Everyone around is having a hard time and only really mature people even take the time to weed out your mess and want to assist you. Others will tell you that they are here for you but aren’t. These types of heart issues have to come from you doing some work on the inside out.
I have said it before sometimes writing things down or even saying it gets it out. Once out you can own it and then find ways to fix it. Not everything can be fixed. There will be tines when apologies will never come from the very ones who are fully aware that they did you wrong. There are so many people in the grave who have power on those of us who are living because we won’t forgive. And although some take it as cliché, forgiveness is really for you. It frees you. It makes you whole. You can be whole without someone apologizing to you when you learn to drop the charges against them. It doesn’t mean that they deserve it. It doesn’t mean you will forget about it. It just means you don’t need to carry the weight of what others have done. Let’s be honest, people are rude People are inconsiderate and people say and do mean things. You don’t have to like it but nothing that someone else has done should make you not live the best life that you can. It’s like being miserable while the others around you continue their life. This happens all the time. It’s hard to forgive and move on but its worth your peace to do it.
Take some time not to mask what you feel but to deal with it. You may not be able to get closure but you can close the books to your heart and move to a positive place in your life.