Happy Monday to you. Happy I am just making it Monday. Happy I am alive Monday. Whatever your Monday looks like to you, make it that and rise above it. Yes the weekend has left some of us dry. If it wasn’t the news that is constantly being pushed in our faces, to relationships, situationships, kids, jobs, etc you may be at wit’s end.
So we all know that we need to protect our spirit. Your spirit is your essence. It’s your wits. It’s you in a nut shell. I know there are many times when I have to take a time out. I give my kids one and have no shame in taking one. You need to protect your essence. All of life’s drama can take the beauty out of you if you let it. Today I am even more guarded to keep being informed but to filter some of the junk to avoid getting too overly emotional or let things take me out of my element.
Life is hard but cover yourself today and everyday. Cover your children who don’t fully understand but are in the presence of the same junk you are touched with. Never underestimate that they are able to pick up on negative vibes just as much as you do. Protect what they see and hear. Protect who they are around. Who you allow your kids to be around speaks volumes as they take on what on who is around them. Protect what words you say around them as well. Words have life and death in them and you have to be careful that the tearing down isn’t occurring in-house. We are worried about the outsiders but truth be told you can cause more damage in house than you will ever know if you aren’t careful.
Filter what you take on when it comes to social media. I love social media but the down size is that it doesn’t always allow you to be social. It can become battle grounds. It can become warfare. It can zap your energy. It can take up so much of your time. It can allow you to not be able to disengage with those around you. It is a choice and you must make good choices on what you entertain on social media. Everything isn’t worth a response. Everything doesn’t need a clap back. You have to clean your social media act up. Delete some accounts you don’t need. Take a few folks off that you allow to get you all up in arms. Learn to take a step back with who you call friends on your social media accounts. Never post anything you don’t stand by 100% and be prepared to live with any backlash. Learn that some things that inspire you may just be for you. Learn that you can choose to spread hate or love. Love on yourself. Practice self-love everyday. Mental illness is real and it can be elevated by social media because when the mind is weak it allows the defenses of everything to be low. Be careful. Speak life today. Speak life into your situations and find ways to make your bottom line better. Reach out to help others when your able. It’s no different from when you’re on a plane, they tell you to put the oxygen mask on you first. Same rule applies in life, stop handing out all of your resources to others and leave yourself depleted. Help you than you can help someone else. Have a great Monday and practice self love and love on others around you.
So on October 15, 2010 my friend Colleen came to pick me up. She had called me several times before about the birthday party I was supposed to attend for my boyfriend at the time’s uncle birthday. I really want to downplay what I was going to wear. However Marques had already gotten me a dress that we picked out a few weeks ago and with the dress I figured let me get to the salon and get my hair done.She took me to one of her girls and she did my hair. I got my nails done and proceeded with my normal day.
On Saturday October 16, 2010 I drove to Philly but I had to make a stop to pick Marques up from the train station. He had went on a business trip. We got to the house I talked with his mom and then we went to the mall because he said he had to get a gift for his uncle. We left the mall with no gift. He said he couldn’t find anything. We managed to eat and then back home to get dressed. On the way there he says that one of his cousins might try to be late and he had to call them. He pulled over on the side of the road and asked if the cousin had arrived and then he had to fix his clothes. In my normal what are you doing, I asked him if he could wait until we got to our destination to fix his clothes.
Well we pull up to Maggiano’s and I ran into a long time friend. I wasn’t paying any attention until we walked into the room and I saw his family than I looked over and saw my college girlfriends sitting at the table and I knew this couldn’t have been for his uncle birthday. I looked back and saw my parents and family and best friend sitting at a table and I knew immediately but I didn’t want to play myself.
He came in the room turned on the most beautiful photo spread and video and asked for my hand in marriage. I was floored. I couldn’t believe it. All the things I had in my mind I could barely say much but yes!! His family was clowning him I do remember that asking what would he have done if I said no, but Marques knew I wouldn’t have said no.
The back story is that my college girlfriends had arrived Friday and were staying at the house. When I got there they had left and basically it was arranged for them to get dressed and not be in the house so I wouldn’t see them. But we had crossed paths and I had no clue. He had my parents and family there and the only times I remember them interacting was for the sake of our daughter. It was a really beautiful time. Oh and there was no business trip. It was a way to divert me from going to house.
He put a lot of effort into this day. I totally appreciated it all. The other part to the proposal is the ring. The ring was incredibly beautiful. When he and I were dating back in the day, I would get my Essence magazines and read them. In the magazine were always Tacori ring advertisements. I fell in love with them. They are super expensive sets. Trust me. However he would ask me questions as to why I liked those rings. My answer is simple, I loved how the band had diamonds all around it. I like the princess cut and halo rings. I liked how it looked different from other rings to me. He never forgot that conversation. I later found out not how much he spent but trust me he wanted my social security number like Martin did Pam in the Martin comedy series but the effort. It was the fact that he went and literally put this ring together. He got the center stone from one place, got a setting and had it put together to my specifications like a Tacori ring. So for that this ring means the world to me because of him listening to me, and knowing my style. He could have gotten any ring and I would have loved it but the ring was made for me and it makes it that much more special. Oh and my favorite food is Italian. My favorite color is red he incorporated it all into the day. We went to Maggiano’s at our first anniversary and the flood of emotions still gets me. Marques has always been great with large gestures, the proposal was an extension of that. To this day we celebrate Sweetest Day even when others don’t. It’s our own special Valentine’s Day.
I asked him why he proposed, and it was simple, he loved me and it was time. Also he told me that I was by his side throughout the years he wanted to give me the ring that I loved and he did!!!
Shout out to all of our family and friends who helped in the background to pull that day off!!
So I am going to a wedding today. I know without a doubt this union is just going to be a beautiful celebration of two people who really do love each other and who are both committed to being there for one another. Going to weddings when you are married is supposed to remind you of your own vows. You get that rush of feeling when you think of the nervousness of both individuals and you remember how you felt doing the same thing. Marriage is a lifetime committment and that committment can be easy-going but filled with the ups and downs of life. So here are a few things that married people don’t share but its true.
- You will get on each others nerves-I know in the fairy tales the man and woman marry and then they live happily ever after but in planet Reality, it’s not true all the time. Your mate will get on your last nerve and then resurrect that nerve and get on it again and again and again. Yes and some more. This is the closest person to you and they know all of your ups and downs as well as your triggers. Love is forever but staying in that forever moment take works.
- You will not be in a blissful state of euphoria every minute of your marriage. Cue in the flowers, lingerie, and happy smiles marriage is work. I think I said that before but marriage is work. You will have to be intentional in creating happy spaces of your marriage. You will also need to be prepared for the down times as well as make sure you are already on a stable foundation.
- Your first few years are the hardest. You may find that your temperament will change as you ride the waves of this new life. You may argue for the first time since you called your little baby boo, teddy bear, love muffin yours. This will pass. If you notice that you are having more trouble than most than seek counseling. But know its normal to disagree. Don’t stress and if you can’t find a solution than let an argument settle and come back to it. Take a time out. It’s okay. Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither do all arguments.
- Sometimes you will crave your own space. You got married to be one, but you don’t have to be joined at the hip. However there will be time when life pushes you more and more together and if you aren’t careful can push you away from your own dreams. You have a help mate which means someone to help you along the journey of life but not to be your life. Make time to love on each other and still have to cultivate your own passions.
- Life changes. This has to be said. Marriage is not just a piece of paper. It binds you in spirit and love. That changes the game altogether. You are no longer on an island you are responsible for each other and the family and life you have. Going with the flow isn’t easy for everyone that is why the person you pick to spend your life with is super important. You want to be sure that the person is willing to take care of you if you lost all of your limbs, lost your mind, or got severely sick. Why pick a person who will run at the slightest sign of danger. You are wasting the time you could be with the one who really wants to be just be there. They should want to be there just because they love you and love doing for you and with you.
- Sex is important. I know you hear stories of wives who only have sex 3 times a year: birthday, Christmas, and anniversaries. Although it’s not my place to say how often a couple should be having it, if you ask the couple separately there will always be one that wants it more and the other who wants it less. Whether you believe in sex before marriage or not, talking about sex and the expectations should be discussed before hand. Why be married to the one person who is to fulfill your needs and find out that they aren’t going to or have no intention of doing so. This is crushing, especially in lines of honoring your vows. If you are to honor your vows and that means not sleeping around than you should be able to be sexually free with your mate. This takes time and being on the same page outside of the bedroom. Also be realistic. Once babies, sickness or anything else life swings your way will change-up the rhythm. It takes two to tango. If you hear from a married friend that something is wrong in the timing of sex in their lives, always remember there are always two sides and in the middle is always a big misunderstanding. Communication and the lack thereof is always the culprit.
- Communication is a big issue in marriage and it can make or break the relationship. Money is tied or sometimes seen as number one but communication is the culprit before money. If you can’t communicate and if you struggle like I do at times than you must have someone willing to help you close that gap or is patient. You have to be able to open up. Men you will definitely know you are marrying or have married the right one when you don’t want to communicate but its something about the lady in your life that pushes you past your comfort level of opening up. How you say what you say is actually more important than the words you say. Saying hey you lost yourself and you look horrible is way off track than saying hey what is going on and how can I help you get back to your happy place. See the difference. I tell my husband all the time you can the same thing and use tact and tact will get you everything with me. Its super true. I love that man and if he comes correct 99% he can get whatever he needs within reason.
- Money is something to be on top of. I don’t like money talks. I hate them to be honest. I always feel like I am being talked to like a child when it comes to money. I am the type that is like just tell me what I need to contribute to and move on but it doesn’t always work that way. You can’t be afraid to know where you stand. I encourage every woman who is reading this blog if you are in a marriage to know the ends and outs of what is coming in and what is coming out. You should have copies of every important financial document and know the status everything concerning you and your households. Do you know how many women just because they are stay at home moms or aren’t working that don’t know this information. If something happens to that man you can’t write a check, drive, or even know if you can bury that man-nothing. Change that. You need to be partners in life which means that you must be partners who have full rights. Every partner should have all the cards facing up.
- Happy wife, happy life is a lie and a truth at the same time. Happy wife starts with a happy wife than you can do things to make her happy after her happiness is fulfilled. Let me share a little confession, I am not that happy wife all the time. This takes practice. I would encourage all soon to be wives and those wanting to be wives to do some work on yourself before you join yourself to someone. It takes a lot of out of the marriage to constantly try to make a miserable person happy. You can kill a person trying to do the most. Once you have a happy wife than men its up to you to make sure you keep her love bucket full and vice versa the same applies to the ladies. Love on yourself and never forget the reason why you got married is the key to keeping you as an individual happy therefore making a happy marriage.
- Marriage isn’t for everyone. I know we know about the divorce rates but that isn’t supposed to scare you. Marriage is what you and your mate put into it. What people don’t tell you is to never judge your marriage off of what others around you do. What makes one marriage work never applies to all marriages. So be careful comparing and water your own garden.