I love my dad. There is no debate about that. I think that all dads should be celebrated. The issue with Father’s Day is that we don’t honor them. I know I am not blind to the fact that many dads don’t step up. I get it. I get that some homes only have mothers and grandmothers and women taking care of what should be a two parent job. However, does that mean that as a woman who has an outstanding father I should diminish my love for great dads? The answer is HELL NO!
I see the amounts of money spent on moms and I am like where is the respect for dads? Growing up I could be in the classroom where only a handful of us talked about having one. I felt bad for the ones who didn’t and I still do. However my dad is just a great man so you’re going to have to cry thug tears today if you don’t want to hear about it. Let’s start with my grandfather. Hands down the hardest man I know. I could care less what anyone says, that man is the best. He is over 80 years old and still does odd and end jobs to take care of my grandma. He gets up at like 4 in the morning to start his day. He is the last to go to bed sometimes. He travels and sings and he is the one that feeds everyone and is super helpful. There isn’t anyone in the family that can say a bad thing about him. I am sure he has flaws but as a grandfather he covers everyone married or not. He is there and is consistent. So no wonder my dad is definitely a chip off the block.
My dad is the type that I can call crying and he would stop the world to come to my rescue. Growing up he was hard on us but he definitely showed love. He is THE BEST dad ever. Not just because it looks good to say but off social media and this blog he is there. So when Father’s Day comes around I like to make sure that I give what I can to show him how much I love him and respect him. He has seen me in my worst, still loves me. He has yelled at me when I needed it, still loves me. He has taken me out on our little dates together, still loves me. This man has done it all. He has worked hard at jobs he didn’t even like to support us all. He has stayed up late hours if we were sick and went to work like it has never bothered him. He is the one that everyone knows and respects no matter what. He is just a great dad.
Then go from my dad to my husband. He is the best dad to our kids. He plays with them. He does whatever is necessary. He is the total opposite of what his dad was to him. That’s not a knock to his dad but it is facts. He works hard to make sure that he isn’t giving our kids what he was given growing up. People say that we are a product of our environment but that is a choice. My husband is the dad that sneaks the kids stuff behind my back. Like most dads he gets to play good cop for the most part. The girls have him wrapped around his finger. They give him them eyes and they get what they want. My son is his twin and I swear he uses that to his advantage often. So they have a great dad. I wanted them to have the same experience that I did growing up and I believe they do. My husband is hands down the best dad the kids could have asked for. I want to publicly let the world know how much of a great dad that my dad, my husband, my grandfather and my uncles are to their families respectfully. It is super empowering to know that these men have our families back. I love you all!
So those who have great dads, please celebrate them. Give them the same love you would give your mom. It’s a dual job. They are both equally important. For the ones who experience pain during this holiday, I pray peace and calm. It is hard not knowing what it is like to have your dad take you out as a daughter and show you how a man is supposed to treat you. To know that a man isn’t supposed to hurt you. To know that when the world is crazy that your dad’s voice and actions are to be protecting. If the world gets to crazy that your dad is supposed to raise hell.
Happy Father’s Day to all of the amazing dads in the world. To the ones with secret super hero capes, you will never go unnoticed here at ToiTime. Enjoy your day!!
Happy national donut day!! I had one and I mean only one donut and couldn’t really eat much of anything else. I forced myself to have a healthy lunch because that donut was definitely a lot of empty carbs. Well I hope you all had a good week. We are coming off a 4 day weekend some of us anyway from Memorial Day. I hope you had a great holiday weekend. We celebrated my daughter’s birthday and had a really good weekend. No complaints. So as far as this short week it has definitely been filled with a lot of ups and downs. So let’s get into it.
Personal Highs/Personal Lows
This week I am going to put these two categories together. There is a lot going on and I told you lovelies I would update you. One we had a great time celebrating my now 8-year-old. Time is flying when you’re having fun right? We are also gearing up for my son’s preschool graduation. I know some people make a big deal that these types of graduations are pointless but it just gives the little people something to look forward to. I personally feel like celebrations are what makes life great. Those who know me know I will make his day special. That’s what I do. I feel like life is about making memories that they can look back on. It’s better than buying a bunch of material things.
Also this week I have been vigilant with my doctors to get me an answer. I have been suffering with migraines for quite some time. I am also anemic. However with the new diet my doctor made sure I had all of the supplements that one would need and I increased all of the iron enriched foods so you would think I was good right? Wrong. I am not. My doctors and I have decided that it was time to get a hysterectomy. I know for some they get it done when they have fibroids. I do not have them. I am losing too much blood. My blood volumes and levels are one step to more transfusions. For some they would say, why not start a pill that would decrease your period. However the thing is that I have already done that. I have been on pills off and on. I got my tubes tied when I had my 3rd and last child. I know some would say why put this out there? One its MY BODY and my page. Secondly being a woman going through women issues is not a place of shame and I refuse to hide like I did something wrong. That is pure craziness. Why would I keep it hush-hush when there are millions of women like me going through the same thing.
I am no wonder. I won’t be the first or the last. Ladies my decision was about what was best for me. I have to do what I need to do for ME. Was my husband there? Absolutely. I know my decision will have an affect temporarily on my home but I had to do what was best for me. No need to lose this weight, do all of this work and still be underlying unhealthy. That is sheer madness. I know what I need to do and I know what can happen if I don’t. I love me and I need to be here as well as I have little people who need to have a healthy mom. So with that in mind in the next week that is what I will be doing. Have I researched all of the options? Absolutely. This has been an ongoing back and forth thing. I am prepared for the steps after. I do NOT claim to know it all. However I am fully aware that the steps towards self-love will help me through the down side of this procedure. So with MY family’s support we will be fine. I have learned to tune out some of the naysayers. They will say don’t let them take nothing out. Meanwhile I can’t count on them to watch my kids when I am somewhere bleeding out. I can’t slide them a bill when I am off of work and missing time off. I can’t count on them to pick up a phone call to say how is it going. You see that was a free nugget right? I refuse to give folks who show you they are more concerned with their bottom line than mine make my health decisions. Got to keep pushing towards what will work for me and the ones that have to live through all of this.
So with that in mind you may see an increase in blogs. I will have more down time. Whenever I have downtime, I write and I read so be on the look out. I plan to blog the hell out of this situation. Not to get sympathy. I am one strong cookie. But to raise awareness. My heart goes out to the women who are medically forced to make this decision and desire to have children and can’t. I have 3 kids and already put in place the parimeters not to have more already. There is no child birth loss for me. So for the ladies with this loss, it is a loss. I researched this and I find comfort in reading other blogs of women who have gone through this. And with life we are all connected. Keep me in prayer and stay logged on twitter (toitiemblog) and facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/toitimeladies/) as I will update.
- Kathy Griffin out here with a replica of Donald Trump being beheaded and it has set off this major storm on insensitivity. I think for me and this is where MY opinion comes off. It was a bit much. However if the same ones were upset when the nooses was being shown with imagery of Obama was shown and not because he is Black alone but on the principle of right and wrong than okay. If not than you just being extra. What people don’t get is that your argument is more valid when it’s based on principle. Meaning you would extend the same sympathy to another like you want it done for your favorite than you have merit.
- Ireland will have its first openly gay prime minister after Leo Varadkar was elected into the office.
- Withdraw of Paris climate agreement.
- Continuation of the Russian influence of the election. Continue to stand by for breaking news of this ongoing legal battle.
So I pray you all enjoy your weekend. There are some good movies. I saw Wonder Woman and as I thought without giving things away, I walked away feeling great about being a woman. I may see it again if you’re looking for a quick should you go or not-there you go. I am taking the kids to see Captain Underpants tonight. Summer movies are really heating up. I plan on some me time and I have to work. So find an activity that you enjoy and make yourself feel like the beautiful gem that you are.
Please do not get me wrong. I think anyone doing anything positive is good news. I love that people are attempting to move past the backward thinking that has seemed to take this world over. However, can we just be real for about a few seconds? When basic behavior is like the best thing since sliced bread than we have a problem.
You are in a dating situation the man of your dreams is wining and dining you and pulls your chair out, etc now you are like see my man loves me? I don’t doubt he does. In a world where men and no not all men are too busy getting caught up in the negative things, playing video games and no job, making babies with no responsibility this could seem like a breath of fresh air. However the issue isn’t in the mere manners, it needs to be our own personal standards that have gone on a decline. Even when I dated the most thugs of boyfriends they pulled my chair out. It was the way I carried myself that lead them to know from the gate that if they never pull a dime like myself they was going to step it ALL the up. So opening up doors is normal for me during my dating processes. Opening doors was basic. It wasn’t because I carried myself in a stuck up way, I didn’t I was laid back but my mere demeanor said hey buddy, this is going to be a classy outing. Now this didn’t always mean I was at 5 star restaurants all the time either. I could go to a night of dancing in the hole in the wall but still be treated like I wasn’t living in the hole of the wall. I set the standard!
If you are married and your husband is super caring, we uplift them. We start labeling relationship goals right off the bat because a husband kissed their wife. Okay I get there are sexless and boring marriages (all by choice) but a simple kiss even a romantic passionate one making relationship goals only means that there are a lot of married couples who do not enjoy the union they are in. Kisses are done simply at the altar or union as a seal of commitment. So….yeah we have got to raise the standard. I had a conversation with my own husband and we acknowledged the highs and lows of our relationship and how outside things and distractions are often celebrated when we lack the self-sufficiency to love on each other and ourselves in the way it should be. A husband who simply comes home is celebrated as if he isn’t supposed to return home after his outside of the home obligations are done. He is celebrated and the phrase, “well at least he’s not cheating” comes into play. Like is he supposed to be cheating? I know cheating is big but let’s not give more respect to the cheater than the faithful? We live in a messed up world. The only way to make the world smaller is to learn to leave the outside world OUTSIDE. Spend more time making YOUR world what YOU want it to be.
If you are married and have kids and your husband doesn’t lift the finger to assist you with the kids some of it on you because you won’t speak up and other reasons is because he doesn’t think he should, I hear well at least he’s in the home. So many men are locked up or leave after they make the babies. This is true. However him being in the home still living like an absentee father is even more crazy. You do know they exist. They are simply bodies but they don’t do a thing but get the greatest father in the world book just because they stayed. Um, if you have a baby and make a baby it is YOUR responsibility to be there, provide, and dare I say interact and assist in the raising of that child. It is simply not okay to come in the home, say hi, watch tv and send the child to bed and think you have arrived in parenting. NO you need to be a force in the home. You need to be helping with whatever it takes to make sure you have healthy, loved and supported children. Ladies, if you have a man who is simply there don’t expect it. Also speak up and don’t berate him because he doesn’t do things like you do either. It’s give and take once ALL parties pay their part.
I believe in rewarding kids but kids are supposed to do good things if they are influenced in the right way. For instance every time your child does something he/she will NOT always be rewarded. Teaching integrity means that at some point they learn to do the right thing simply because it’s right and not because someone is watching them or will give them something. This is why some kids feel a sense of entitlement because you love your little love muffin and use rewards for everything. Reward systems are awesome. It can be used to motivate but should not be in the place of all parenting techniques. These little angels grow up and think the world owes them something and you and I both know that really isn’t how it works.
Like I have always pushed, balance is key. Never do more on one side over another. I know this whole not wanting to be “basic” is a thing but the reality is there are times when going back to the old landmark really does still work. The standard you set in your life and how you work through it should still be set by a measurement. If a person is worth your time they will know what your standard is. That is why some people go ga ga over things like good sex. Is sex supposed to be bad? Yes there are some sexual partners that don’t always do it right off the bat and you have to set the standard even in that on what you will accept or not. However some folks get one strong sexual partner and will throw caution to the wind over some wet sheets and weak knees. It’s like having a stack of cards and as long as one suit is good, you don’t pay any attention to anything else. Set the standard. Know you are worth to be treated the way you want and make no excuse for it. In time once your basic needs are met the other items will line up because you are looking through balanced eyes.
Happy Friday to you all! Who is ready for the weekend? I surely am. Let me just make a world-wide declaration to my beautiful daughter, Naila-happy 8th birthday. My daughter and I am rightfully biased is one of the sweetest, amazing little girls to date. She loves everyone and is such a jewel to be around. We plan to celebrate her all weekend long. I pray continued love, strength and peace to her life always.
It’s also Memorial Day weekend. So this means that there are going to be a few activities that will be taking place in a city near you. If you live in or around Philadelphia there are a lot of FREE events taking place. We ALL can afford free right? The point is to get out and enjoy yourself. Don’t go back to work on Tuesday with the boring didn’t do anything unless that is what you wanted to actually do-NOTHING. Rest, relax, organize, plan for the rest of the Summer time. Memorial Day is the unofficial start to Summer so get out and get busy.
This has been a really interesting week for me. I am still coming down on my weight. I am about to shift from just losing weight to maintaining for the month of June. I am looking to get to my goal so I can purchase this Boho style swimsuit. I haven’t bought a swimsuit in 5 years. Also I was in a lot of control when it came to dealing with the things that life through just this week. I almost had a little mental break down but some encouragement came and helped me along the way. I had such an amazing time with my husband this past weekend and some much-needed me time as well.
- Prayers to those in Manchester. A bomber decided to bomb the Ariana Grande concert that was being attended by mostly teenager and young children. My heart goes out to those who lost their lives as well as those injured from the deadly blast. I can’t understand why there is so much evil in this world but there is.
- Trump’s administration is supposedly under the microscope. Even with getting into all of the politics of it all I do believe that Trump believes that he has the power to do as he pleases. I do not believe he under the concepts of checks or balances. So we shall keep watching to see what comes of all of this.
- Greg Gianfonte is out here body slamming reporters-allegedly. It’s sad when offices used to be respected therefore they carried themselves to a higher standard. Pretty soon they going to be pulling even more stunts but what do I know.
- Chris Cornell died of an apparent suicide. His wife is saying medication he was on is what led to his death and he would have not killed himself otherwise. I pray peace during this difficult time.
- I spoke last week about awaiting for test results well I got them back. It doesn’t look good. I have to be seen this week for some blood related issues and so when I have a treatment plan in place than I will blog openly about what is going on. I have no problems sharing anything in my life and especially about health due to the fact there is always going to be someonelse who will go through it too. I will inform you all of any changes especially any changes that distributes the blog. If you aren’t already following me on Facebook please do as many of the changes will be announced there, https://www.facebook.com/toitimeladies/
- Ask Toi-about family or friends who come over uninvited and especially as parents who have small kids and have a sitter. It’s always good to call first. You don’t know what is going on with people and it shows a respect for other people’s time. If you come over unannounced than don’t expect to have access to someone’s home no matter how close you are if who you are visiting has a sitter. If that sitter isn’t aware of you stopping by its going to be a closed-door that greets you.
- Ask Toi-taking a sex break while married. You have a right and a choice to engage or disengage but I would suggest that you work out the issue that is causing you to want to take a sex break than to go to you mate and not have a clear definition of what that means. Do NOT expect your mate to be okay with it but you have the right to your body and to be vocal in what your intentions are.
- Annoying co-workers anyone? Yes we ALL have them. Simple things to keep in mind as you go through the work day.
- Mirage screens-we put too much stock in what others are doing, what they are portraying, what they show us, etc. Worry more on your own life and less on celebrities or couples or individuals you admire.
As we end this week and dive into the long weekend a few reminders:
- Sunscreen should be worn all year round not just in the Summer months. However since pools and beaches will be swarmed this weekend and beyond, don’t forget it. I use a SPF in my makeup as well.
- Keep your kids close. Do NOT get comfortable and get caught up in celebrating that you forget about them. There are sick people everywhere and the last thing you need is a child to be unaccounted for.
- Drink but be safe. I like a beverage or two but if you think DUI check points aren’t real you are sadly mistaken. Be careful. If you are tipsy call a Uber, etc.
- Violence unfortunately especially in some cities that are already plagued with violence more will break out. Watch the company you keep and be vigilant in having peaceful get togethers. If you are having a fault with someone and can’t be mature than don’t even attempt to resolve it at that time. I pray that all innocent bystanders will be protected as well. You can be at the right place at the wrong time, do nothing and still end up hurt or dead. Prayers to all my ToiTime readers and followers.
Continue reading “Weekly Recap: May 26, 2017”
People, good people, good morning. Listen let’s have a serious talk about what appears to be and what is. We ALL have put out into the atmosphere our very best self. We post the best pics out of the 100 we took. We use filters because let’s face it they are pretty. However there is one thing that we all need to be reminded. Everything that glitters isn’t gold. This isn’t the first time we have heard it but let’s talk about it some more.
We get caught up in the ideas about of what people put out. Some people post about solid marriages and have the most flakiest ones. Being real is about being loud and yelling instead of just being honest and transparent. Just because you yell you keeping it real doesn’t mean you are. That’s a free nugget of wisdom for someone. People struggle. Relationships and marriages struggle. People don’t air out their dirty laundry or rather they shouldn’t. We base our lives off of others and do less work on our own. If you see a woman get flowers, you go home and complain you aren’t getting them. However you haven’t expressed you wanted them before. You don’t go and get them yourself because you enjoy them. You are waiting, hoping that the man you are with will finally take this initiative and do and missing out on the love you really do and can give yourself. You realize that if that love won’t measure up and you practice self-love, nature will separate you from what you don’t need to be with. Again another freebie for you.
Please learn to take some stock in YOUR life. I give great advice but I try to eat and nibble on it before I give it. I hold myself accountable. For instance let me give you some realness. I was having the worst anxiety attack. I didn’t want to go to an event because I knew some of the people there I don’t vibe with. I had to be reminded that its more than talk, I will NEVER vibe well with them. I can’t live with brakes on. SO I got dressed and made it happen. I wanted to be in my defeated world and just go to bed. I ended up having an amazing time. The point is simple, it’s about getting past the hiccups with action and not just lip service.
We have to get past our favorites smoke screens. I love LL Cool J and Morris Chestnut and both are married. Like my marriage there are days even with all of their fineness that their wives are ready to trip them because of something they did or didn’t do. No different from my own marriage. I have friends who I look up to but when they close their doors they have things they are working out in their lives. So you have to understand that and learn to live life on your own terms. A lot of people selling this message of love your spouse, or job or life to the fullest don’t always mean they receive it or live it everyday. Be careful who you put your highest stock on. Everyone on your pedalstool will disappoint you if you don’t keep things into perspective. No different from when the report of America’s sweetheart Jesse Williams called it quits with his wife. Everyone like lawd if they can’t make it what we gon do? You gon get over it and make your marriage work. You need to use the information to make yours solid. Love harder, listen more, don’t take things for granted, etc That’s what you do instead of attributing everything good and going into doom and gloom when it doesn’t add up.
Live your OWN best life!!
So life of a single mom has usually a few things tied to it, stress and time. There isn’t anyone that can help lighten their load. They play the role of both parents which is almost nearly impossible. They have to do it all and smile as if it doesn’t bother them. Let me say that is foolishness. Single moms are not happy about their state of singlehood. I haven’t found one however not being happy in singlehood doesn’t mean you can’t do a few things to change your personal perception.
I was born to a single mom. My dad well he had the ability to check out like so many other men who make that choice. The children are caught in the middle of it all. Every child needs both parents. However when life serves up the craziness, you have to find ways around it and make it work regardless. So it was a little later on that my mom would find real love and my dad aka my step dad although I never call him that entered our lives. What was life-like before that? Full of adventures. No two days were alike. Sometimes my mom look effortless and other days you can see the struggle in her eye. I have said it once and I will say it again no mother is perfect but my mom got us through displacement, homelessness, and struggle and she doesn’t even appear to look like what she came through. No mom ever wants this life. However let me tell you what lessons I learned from the best to do it:
- Don’t look like what you are going through. It doesn’t mean that you won’t have bad days but my mom not only told us this she showed us too. We lived in a shelter and our clothes were always pressed and clean. She made sure every time we stepped out the door we looked right meaning hair done too. She made sure she had her make up done too. Did that mean we were to the 9s all the time? No but definitely most times. It was about looking good and feeling good past the craziness behind the scenes. No mother wants to have children in a shelter its a sign of not being able to provide. However my mom told us it was temporary and that in life you have to be able to go high even when things got low-trust me this was before Michelle Obama.
- Things work out when you work hard. In life things get hard. There will be times when you want to pull your hair out. The kids will not make it easy either, however you can do your best and make moves instead of excuses. You have 24 hours to cry and die like my mom would say but when you are done, wipe your face and handle it. Keep searching even if you get a NO, keep going.
- Get help-if you have one person willing to help don’t cut them off. Do not try to do it all yourself. It takes a village. Someone is ready and willing to assist let them. It doesn’t make you less of a super mom to get the help you need and that means in all forms.
- Smile- yes your heart hurts. You may have watched the sadness in your child face over a disappointment of the lack of the other parent, but your smile let’s them know that things aren’t perfect but they will make it. I know for a fact that watching my mom do the same in her life, when life gets hard she won’t one sugar coat life for me and she definitely taught me to smile through it all.
- Journal it out-everything ain’t for everybody. You have to be able to have an outlet. Single moms don’t always have time for hobbies and meeting up with friends but you have to be able to get it out. Keeping things in will do more harm than help.
- Never let anyone come between you and your kid. Listen to them because kids see and know more than you think. Don’t let them dictate your life but don’t want a “life” so bad that you throw caution to the wind.
- Take care of your children. Stop the dropping them off to momma and nem so you can be at the club working on your next kid. A break is a break it’s not forever. It’s not weekly. It’s a break-a brief moment. The concept of dropping responsibility is not going to work. You had them, you raise them. Help is one thing, damn near walking away and visiting your kid is another. Its one thing if you can’t take care of them but if you are in the picture than be in the picture. Give your kid 100% instead of them not already having one parent and then only having 10% of you because you are fed up with the life you created. No you didn’t create it yourself but at some point the focus needs to be off of you and more on the children who didn’t ask to come here.
So I am having a pretty good week. My weekend focuses will be a wedding I am attending today, the Phillies game, and some much-needed TLC for me. I love when I have my pamper time. It gets me super focused on me for a little bit and always me to slip back into mom and wife mode a little happier and easier. So this has been a little bit of a week with the news and such so let’s recap it all.
- Syrians were attacked by the chemical Sarin which is a nerve agent. It killed countless innocent victims both young and old. My prayers to those affected and their families in this senseless tragedy.
- U.S. launched a missile strike against the Syria chemical attack. We will have to give time to see the ramifications of what this could potentially lead to.
- Bill O-Reilly has had several endorsers pull away from his brand due to allegations of sexual harassment.
I lost another 3.4 pounds this week bringing my total weight loss to 32 pounds. My clothes are still getting bigger and I am not ready to buy anything new just yet. I am close to my goal and when I get there as promised I will update with a full body picture. I also had a good week closing the relationship I had been struggling to find a common ground with. It was a bit of a tough situation that had too much gray area than most things I deal with. I also was able to get some things organized. I have had a lot of over time this week so I had to really get things in order to make sure nothing went slacking at home.
- What your friends won’t tell you about marriage-this was released today and it deals with 10 things married people struggle with or know that they don’t always talk about. People have this souped up idea about what marriage is and sadly it doesn’t always pan out the way the mind thinks.
- This has got to go-talking about my continued weight loss journey. Are you interested in making some changes? Are you trying to be Summer time or lifetime fun but find it challenging? I talk about the piles of clothes on the bed and floor because the clothes you want to wear and what you actually can fit or don’t want to fit in are too much.
- Losing your mind-its stress awareness month and this week we talked about the mind and what to do if you are having a setback. We talked specifically what to do if once you are attempting to change your way of thinking but are feeling overwhelmed and need help.
- Mental setback-dealing with the little ways we can reset the mind so the thought process doesn’t take over our minds to the point where we struggle to function.
I am dealing with an issue with my daughter. I obviously won’t go into yet but working on responses to your children that are appropriate and mirror what you are used to do vs what should be done for the betterment of your child. I am not a perfect parent actually no one is. The balance of making sure everything is done to uplift a little person is a great task. Often times it’s not as clean-cut as we hope in our minds it would be. So if you are a parent just know there will be some lows but the key is to pick yourself up and try to continue to love.
So enjoy your weekend. I am hearing in Philadelphia there may be a little warm up next week and after this week of rain and cold I sure could use a little sun on my skin. Be safe and continue to check in-blogs drop without warning sometimes.